Monday, April 9, 2012

California Dreaming




A couple of weeks ago, My friend Tori and I decided to take a long weekend trip to visit our good, old friend Jess in California. Jess was my neighbor back home growing up and we both shared the same passion for traveling and discovering the world. My big step was moving to Michigan, hers, Cali. This was actually my first time visiting the golden state (aside from transferring flights at LAX) and it was definitely a great experience. Jay lives right outside of L.A. so we managed to knock out a lot of the touristy attractions throughout the area. We started our adventure by taking a stroll down the walk of fame and then took a moment to match our hand prints to the celebrities outside the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre. For those of you who are wondering, I have the same size hands as Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) -__- 



It is always exhilarating to be able to witness something so famous that you've only been reading about or seeing on tv. This is the exact feeling I encountered when being here and admitting the awe of seeing the Hollywood sign. 
Later that afternoon we hopped in the car, opened the sun roof/windows, cranked the music and began to cruise. Sunset Blvd, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills; all just as picturesque as I imagined. The houses, the cars, the interesting people, it was just a fun and very chill time witnessing it.
The next day we dedicated our time to the beaches. Starting at Laguna and standing on the "top of the world" to Huntingdon, Newport and Seal. The Pacific is gorgeous and I loved every minute of being on the shores. We managed to get ourselves into several other frolicsomeness during my visit, especially during St. Patricks day. I think I'll save that for another day though ;)



It's funny that while visiting this short time and sharing stories with Jess and her family I was able to see a vast difference between the lifestyles of the West coast and East. From her experiences so far, Jess has landed multiple jobs and I was quite shocked as to how she managed it. I've found out that people like to be independent and Angelenos or Californians want to make it happen on their own terms and will sacrifice to have a better quality of life.  I am constantly amazed at the tech world, the entertainment industry, the fashion, and incredible writing communities here. People on the east coast typically have one job.  People on the west coast have multiple.  I find it kind of invigorating. At first, not so much, but now I see why. FREEDOM. People are chasing their dream and working where they can to support that dream.  
When you grow up in the North East, everyone around you is talking about what prep school or prestigious college they would like you to attend. This talk starts fairly early in our youth. Often many generations attend the same school and it is an honor to continue that legacy because so and so’s grandfather has their name on the building. College is just considered a minimal start. Having a master’s degree, PhD etc. is just an extra something to have under your belt. I have found people on the West Coast are not raised with the same educational whip. I was surprised when Jay was telling me about how it's not a big deal at all. Many high school and college drop outs are quite successful. This “drop-out” thing would be unheard of on the East Coast, but sometimes I think this non-education thing creates people who work and learn skills at an early age because they have to, and often have real world life skills than many of us who spend years and years in classes don’t have.


On another note, 
I know for me, I get extremely excited when I see a celebrity (and it does happen occasionally). One evening, we were leaving our restaurant and I just stumbled into Steve-O from Jack ass and got my picture with him. Well, it was pretty awesome but ya know in LA, locals are not phased too much by anyone since they share all of the same commodities like gyms, restaurants, sidewalks etc. Considering I am so used to the East coast way of life, I strongly admire this new lifestyle. It really makes me step back and re-evaluate how I want to live my life. I mean, part of my life motto is to live simply, do what I love and from there everything tends to fall into place. This was a memorable trip and I thank Jess for letting it all happen.





Laguna


0 comments:

Post a Comment